Friday, November 25, 2011

He Served Even Beyond The End

        On a crystal-clear, pleasantly warm late November morning on Thanksgiving weekend, family members gathered for a simple service in the Lexington City Cemetery as we quietly laid a community servant and respected physician to rest.  Bob Team lived his life serving others.  He served even beyond the end as he donated his body to the Bowman Gray School of Medicine, his beloved alma mater.  Even in death he wanted to give back to the school that had given him the skill to serve others. 
        In the 1980s I served as pastor of the Roxboro Baptist Church where my physician, faithful church member, and one of my best friends was Dr. Thomas Long.  In the fall of 1989 Dr. Long heard that First Baptist Church in Lexington was talking with me.  He called me to his home and talked to me for a long time about why I should not leave.  But then he added, “If you do go, my good friend and medical school roommate, Bob Team, will be a member of your church.  I’m sure he will take good care of you as your physician.  He’s a great friend.  I think you will find he is a lot like me.”  Dr. Long, a community servant, church leader, elder statesman, and wise counselor was not being boastful, just honest and everything he said was true. 
        Marge Team was on the Search Committee that called me to Lexington so Joyce and I got to know Bob and Marge very early.  Yes, Bob became our physician and he took good care of us.  But more than being a faithful church member and dependable physician, Bob and Marge became our good friends.  I started as pastor of FBC Lexington in April of 1990 (April Fools’ Day as Tommy Wilson will never let me forget!)  Our oldest daughter Lynn was getting married in June at Roxboro Baptist.  Since we were so new in Lexington, we extended an invitation to the wedding only to the Search Committee members, but we really did not expect anyone to attend.  But shortly before the wedding started, I saw Bob and Marge Team walk into the church. 
        When our youngest son Ray Nance was married, Bob and Marge attended the rehearsal dinner and sat at the table with my mother, an experience she talks about even today.  We traveled together to Israel and to Germany for the Passion Play.  When Bob retired, he became a faithful member of our Thursday morning Bible Study and quickly earned the status of elder statesman along with Harry Hartley.  
        I shared at Bob’s funeral service how on the afternoon of his stroke, he held a medical clinic in the Baptist Emergency Department for all of the young docs and the residents.  He was there to be treated in a life-threatening situation, but ever the teacher, he was using the situation to better equip young physicians.  I marveled at his courage, his dignity, and his composure which was, without question, a reflection of his solid faith. 
        Everyone knows the story of how Bob defied all the odds and demonstrated that even the best physicians are still human, there is only one Great-Physician, when like a modern-day Lazarus, he came home to live another 4 years.  During that time Bob and I developed even a closer relationship.  He was a trusted confidant to me during our merger discussions with Baptist Hospital.  And no one was more pleased when Lexington Memorial became part of the Wake Forest Baptist Health System. 
        Bob would sometimes tell me that he didn’t know why God allowed him to survive, but we found out the reason why.  Dr. Team had one more patient to care for—we just didn’t know it would be Marge. 
        Bob and Marge grew strength from one another during Marge’s final journey.  He was always there, always loving, always encouraging.  Surrounded by a loving family, and grounded by an unyielding faith, Marge fought the good fight.  Finally, Bob’s work was done—well almost.  He had one more act of service to perform, donating his body to help young physicians. 
        A couple of weeks ago the medical school released Bob’s earthly remains and sent him home.  On Friday morning, the day after Thanksgiving, we gently laid “Doc” to rest. 
        Well done, good and faithful servant, Well Done. 
       

1 comment:

  1. What an inspiring life! Wendy and I feel truly privileged to have had the chance to fellowship and serve together with the Teams at FBC.

    ReplyDelete