Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Medical Center for Belize?

Over 35 years ago I met a man who would change my life.  Cliff Scarborough and I became friends because he was from Thomasville, Alabama, my grandmother's hometown.  We met in the Forest of Wake, the old Wake Forest campus in Wake County.  I was with Cliff the night he felt God calling him to be a missionary.  Later, I started taking church groups to work with Cliff in Belize and I have continued to do so for almost 30 years.

Many lives in Lexington have been changed by mission trips to Belize.  We see the tremendous needs in this Third World Country and wonder, "Is there anything we can do?"  

As many of you know, I am on the board of Baptist Hospital in WS.  Through my connections in Belize and at Baptist Hospital, I see a great opportunity developing.  

The Baptist Association of Belize owns 102 undeveloped acres of land and the government has been pressuring them to do something with the land.  While I was in Belize last August, I talked to Henry, the Baptist Executive of the country, about the possibility of establishing a medical clinic that might eventually become a hospital.  He said, "We already have a dream for such a clinic!" 

I have talked with leaders at Baptist Hospital who feel that this would be an excellent opportunity for the hospital and the medical school to provide international experiences for students, residents, and Wake Forest doctors.  I am talking soon to a representative of the Global Health Organization. 

I am also on the Baptist Hospital Foundation committee and the committee feels that this would be a worthy project that could possibly receive Foundation funds. 

Yesterday I had a meeting in Statesville with a church (FBC Marion) that is very interested in seeing this happen.  We talk to NC-CBF early next month about this project. 

Isn't it amazing how a friendship over 35 years ago continues to influence my life today.  And can't you see God's hand at work in placing me at the right places at the right time---some people call that "Providential"   

So do I!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea and wonderful way to minister to the physcial needs of the people of Belize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! This is a huge opportunity both for Baptist Hospital, for our church, and most importantly for the people of Belize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be really be a great contribution to Belize. I am really excited about the possibility.

    I am also sorry that our church is not going to Belize in 2012. The school project at Santa Elena is another great opportunity to collaborate with other groups and provide a hurricane shelter as well as a place for children in Belize to attend a Baptist school. I pray that we could send some financial support for the building of the school and then later for the hospital.
    Brenda Hipp

    ReplyDelete