Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Visiting Helen Linder--What a Joy!

Visiting Helen Linder

I went to see Helen Linder yesterday.  To visit Helen is always a joy.  In spite of her physical limitations that have slowed Helen considerably, she continues to be a great inspiration to all of us.

Helen loves her church!!!!  Every Sunday morning, even though she is not able to attend church, she gets dressed for church and sits in her living room, first watching everyone arrive (Helen lives next door to our church) then she will listen to the broadcast of the service at 11:00 a.m. on WLXN radio.  (Helen used to work for the radio station)  

How many people with excellent health don't even bother to get ready and attend church on Sunday?   Too much trouble, other important things to do, Sunday is my only day to rest, etc. etc.

Helen started teaching SS at age 15!   She continued to teach until just recently when her health demanded that she stop.  Did I tell you she loves her church---she told me several times!

Helen and I reminisced about great trips we have taken together.  Helen and Bush traveled with us on our first trip to Israel in 1997 and to Germany in 2000.  They always went on the Bible Study Field Trips.   We talked about Tuesday morning Bible Study when it was not as large as it is now.  We would have the Bible Study in the parlor, then all go to Avery's for lunch.  Bush always ordered a Reuben sandwich!  Those were great times of fun and fellowship!

I don't get to see Helen as much as I want to--but whenever I pull out of the parking lot in front of her house, I think of her and pray for her. 

Helen, you are a blessing to us!   We love you!   Continue to write, pray, and inspire us on the way!    

3 comments:

  1. I love Helen....she reminds me of my Grandmother. She has a wonderful attitude!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss seeing her at church each week. Wonderful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I moved to Lexington more than 25 years ago and began attending First Baptist, Helen was my Sunday School teacher. She is a kind, remarkable Southern lady!

    ReplyDelete