Thursday, November 17, 2011

Angels and Thanksgiving Top Eleven (RSVP Requested)

I sense enthusiasm building and momentum growing for our "Adopt an Angel" this Sunday.  The Salvation Army worker who was with us last night for the Gift Fair simply said, "This is a God Thing, it has to be."  She was speaking of our church's goal of adopting 100 angels.  We already have commitments from several via Facebook and this blog to adopt an angel.  Some are going to take 2.  Joyce and I have taken 2 and we plan to go shopping for the angels with our grandchildren right after Thanksgiving. 

Let us hear from you if you plan to join us in adopting an angel.  The easiest way to make a comment on the blog is by choosing the "anonymous" option, but if you have a Google or other account, you can access the comment section that way.  You can also comment on our Facebook page. 

In last Saturday's paper I used my column to list the 11 things for which I am most thankful.  This column, copied on this blog, was geared primarily to the community.  But I want to come up with 11 things in our church for which we are thankful, and I want you to be a part of this.  A quick 5 would be, our Youth Ministry, Children's Center, Music Ministry, Senior Adult Ministry, Staff, our worship---whoa, that's six---okay, you help me out now.

This Sunday I would like us to "Count Our Many Blessings, and name them (at least eleven of them, one by one)  Again, use Facebook or the Comment option below!  

Also Sunday we are recognizing two very important people in the service for outstanding Christian service and at the end of the service, our church will be challenged to Adopt the Angels!    This is going to be some Thanksgiving service!

Now, let's hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. I am thanksful for a wonderful home family and church family/friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adopting two angels will help us focus on the needs of the children in our community. What better way is there to celebrate Christmas than to bring joy to a child. The child that was born in the manger has brought great joy to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking the children "angel shopping" with you is a great idea . . . I am always looking for ways to emphasize "giving" over "getting" at Christmas with my kids.

    Alyson Honeycutt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could easily come up with 11 things for which I am thankful about our church on my own. Here's just one: I was recently talking with a gentleman about the fact that I sing in church and he asked me what kind of music we sang. When I told him we sang traditional anthems and hymns you should have seen his face light up. He said, "Wow! I didn't think there were many churches that did that anymore, since it seems like all of them are going to praise bands and rock music nowadays. I need to come visit YOUR church sometime." I told him he was welcome anytime. I am thankful for the rich tradition of music in our church that contributes so much to our worship of God every Sunday.

    ReplyDelete