Thursday, July 17, 2014

RULES ARE RULES, BUT RELATIONSHIPS ARE MORE IMPORTANT


      Joyce and I are pretty sure we were the oldest chaperones at youth camp last week.  Joyce said she knows she was the only chaperone on Medicare!  When I told one of the counselors that I took my first group of youth to summer camp in 1974, he looked at me like I belonged in the Smithsonian. 

        Our youth attend Passport, an ecumenical organization that sponsors Christian camps all over the southeastern United States.  The counselors are all very young (mostly graduate school), the atmosphere is high energy, and the programming is exceptional.  The camps are held on college campuses, a great experience for the Middle and Senior High students who receive a Passport the first night assigning them to a group.  This group stays together for Bible Study, recreational events, and mission projects.   Working with local mission groups such as Habitat for Humanity, the Salvation Army, clothes closets, food banks, and low-income housing, the students spend several hours each day engaged in a mission activity in the community.  We were in Danville, Virginia, a city devastated by the loss of industry and the economic collapse.  Being from Lexington, we felt their pain!

        On my first youth trip back in 1974, I established a bunch of rules.  We had not been at camp an hour before the girls informed me that the boys brought beer with them—a major violation!  I had only been at the church a few weeks and wasn’t much older than some of our youth.  It was clear that I was being tested and I prayed for wisdom to handle the situation in a redemptive way. 

        Rules are rules, I thought; and the boys broke the rules in grand fashion!  I called them in for a “Come to Jesus” meeting and they feared the worst.  If I had followed the letter of the law, I was to call their parents and ask them to come and take the boys home.  But rather than condemn these young sinners, I asked them what would happen when I informed their parents of their transgression.  One boy started to cry.  His daddy was the sheriff; a no-nonsense, tough guy.  His son was convinced he would hang him on the courthouse lawn. 

        In a moment that God most certainly directed (because I was scared the death), I introduced the concept of grace.  I would forgive these boys, but it they EVER did anything like that again—I would introduce the concept of judgment.  The boys were angels for the rest of the trip.  Looking back, it was that moment that defined my relationship with those young people, a relationship formed by grace.  They didn’t just learn about the Gospel, they experienced it!

        I worked with those youth for four years and kept up with them for many years after.  All of them, without exception, became great leaders in their churches and communities.  The boy who cried became a respected political leader in the state of Alabama.  Gradually, the distance of time and miles took their toll and I lost touch.

        A few years ago on Easter Sunday we had a visitor in the congregation. A mother was taking her son to visit Wake Forest University.  She had been one of the youth on that memorable trip so many years ago.  She shared with me that the church had a reunion and most of my old youth group was there.  They started talking about me, about that first youth camp, and we reconnected. 

        I have learned that it is through mission trips and youth camps that lifelong relationships are made.  We may have been the oldest chaperones at camp, but we wouldn’t take anything for the powerful experience of sharing these dynamic formative moments with our wonderful young people. We see lives changed and lifetime patterns of Christian service established.

        I don’t talk much about rules anymore.  Oh, we have rules, but if you have a relationship based on respect, trust, and love you don’t need to worry too much about them.  I don’t think our kids broke any of the rules, well, except curfew—but what do I care!  At my age, staying up past 10:00 pm is a curfew violation!   Let the kids have fun!   They will remember it for a lifetime.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment