Saturday, July 19, 2014

Conrad & Hinkle Pimento Cheese and "Our State"


        I love “Our State” magazine.   The August issue came this week with a feature on “Southern Food: Six Classics that Define Us.”

        The six classics are Pepsi Cola, Okra, Boiled Peanuts, Redeye Gravy, Honeysuckle, and Pimento Cheese.  I quickly turned to the article on Pimento Cheese, knowing that I would read about Conrad and Hinkle, but was stunned when they were not even mentioned.  The article was written by a Northern transplant by the name of Scott Huler.  I decided that I should write a letter to the editor to complain about this grievous omission!  (Wake Hamrick has a great letter in the August issue--not complaining about anything)

        I reread the article on Saturday morning to make sure I didn’t miss a reference to the Pimento Cheese King, Conrad and Hinkle.  It wasn’t there.  I wrote my letter and then called Lee Hinkle to make sure I was correct that C&H starting making Pimento Cheese in the 1930s.  Lee said someone had told him about the article and said they were mentioned.

        So I went back and read the article again, but could not find it.  Then I saw it—not in the article, but a sidebar placed by the editors that asked “Where do you get yours?  Musten & Crutchfield in Kernersville?  Conrad & Hinkle in Lexington?”

        Feeling better that we were at least referenced, I changed my letter.  Here is the letter that I sent to Our State this morning:

Editor:

          I loved your August feature on Southern Foods, especially Scott Huler’s article on Pimento Cheese.  Lexington’s Conrad and Hinkle Grocer has been on the town Square since 1919 and has been producing the most enticing, mouthwatering pimento cheese for over 80 years.  As synonymous with Lexington as our barbecue, people travel across state lines and time zones to enjoy this exquisite delicacy. 

Mr. Huler should visit Lexington and sample the quintessential Carolina caviar.  One taste of Conrad and Hinkle Pimento Cheese on fresh bread with a homegrown tomato—Oh my!  This Northern transplant will be shouting glory!

Ray Howell

 

No comments:

Post a Comment