Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem


The escalating conflict in Israel is of grave concern to everyone, especially to people of faith as the Holy Land is sacred to the world’s three major religions.  Several of us were in Israel just a few weeks ago.

 

I think our guide in Israel, Yair (whom we all called Jaya) is in the military reserves.  I have tried to contact him, but have heard no response.  I was in touch with him less than a month ago, so I am inclined to believe he may have been called up to active duty. 

 

I recall standing on the top of Megiddo (Armageddon) and talking about why the Apostle John selected this place to represent the ultimate conflict between good and evil.  No other land in the world has witnessed more war than the Holy Land.  Now, once again, there is deadly conflict in the land.

 

The Scripture that comes to me today is Psalm 122: 6-8  "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:  "May those who love you be secure.  May there be peace within your walls and security within your citadels."  For the sake of my family and friends, I will say, "Peace be within you."

 

I will never forget my first trip to Israel in 1996.  We had just landed in Tel Aviv and were greeted by our wonderful guide, Sarah.  One of the first things she told us was:  "Of all the places in this huge world, God selected this small land to touch the earth." 

 

Is it more than irony that the most conflicted land on earth is where God reached down and touched us with his love and blessed us with the Prince of Peace?

 

Once again we pray for the peace of Jerusalem.  May God reach down again and touch the earth.  May the Prince of Peace shower his healing and protective grace upon the land.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment