Tuesday, December 6, 2011

We Will Never Forget Charlie


        There are some people you will remember.  There are other people you will never forget—this was Charlie Parks. 

        My first contact with Charlie was through the Lexington Civitan Club.  The club has a clergy appreciation day each year and I recall meeting the vibrant and charismatic man who may have been limited in his ability to walk, but was unlimited in his enthusiasm, optimism, and joy.  The year Charlie served as Civitan President and presided at the clergy appreciation meal was one of most delightful events I’ve ever attended.  We were doubled over in laughter as Charlie told jokes about Billy Joe, Beamer, Lip, and the funeral home boys.  There were no serious preachers emerging from that meeting!  

        I would often see Charlie on Mondays as he arrived for the Civitan meeting at the YMCA.  He would never park in the handicap parking because "that was for people who needed help!"  Charlie would get out of his car with great effort; make his way from the car to the entrance.  I’ve never known a man with greater courage or determination.  Just watching him was an inspiration and Charlie was an inspiration to countless numbers of people.

        I don’t believe that God causes bad things in life, like Charlie’s illness of 52 years, but I do believe that God can bring good out of bad situations.  Charlie’s unquenchable optimism, his contagious laughter, his dogged determination, and his victorious spirit touched 100s and 100s of lives.  

        Charlie was a lifelong member of Heidelberg United Church of Christ in Thomasville.  His grandfather was not only one of the founding fathers of the church, but literally built the church building.  Charlie and Ann’s son Chuck was not only raised in the church, but he and Melissa were married there.  Then came the apple of Charlie’s eye, his grandson and namesake, Charlie. 

        Charlie loved his family, provided for them, and planned ahead for their well-being.  He had a special bond with grandson Charlie.  To show how much Charlie loved his family, even with his lifelong family ties to Heidelberg Church that he deeply loved, he realized that Charlie would not have the opportunities there that could be found in another church with more children and youth.  So he encouraged Chuck and Melissa to find a church that would be right for Charlie and their family.   That is what led them to First Baptist of Lexington. 

        Charlie and Ann were present the Sunday they joined the church and would often attend special events.  One day Charlie told me that he and Ann wanted to join our church also, so they could be together as a family.  I know it was a difficult move with his ties to Heidelberg, but his family was more important.    

        From the Sunday they joined, Charlie and Ann were right at home.  Charlie quickly became active in Sunday School, Wednesday night activities, and was always faithful to be in worship.  He was a gifted Sunday School teacher and would sometimes call me to get my perspective on a passage or check out the pronunciation of one of those impossible Biblical names.  Charlie always had great insight and I usually didn’t know how to pronounce those names any better than he did.  “If you and I don’t know, Charlie, no one else will know the difference!”  I would tell him.

        Charlie would listen intently during the sermons and never failed to have a positive comment.  Goodness, I thought, here is Charlie encouraging me when I should be one who encourages him.  But that was Charlie. 

        Last February, Charlie’s health had deteriorated to the point he was not able to attend church anymore.  It was the first time I really saw him down.  I went to see him and Charlie told me, “I don’t think I can live much longer like this.  I’m ready to go.”

        Last Thursday night Joyce and I went to the hospital ED when we learned that Louise Tate was rushed to the hospital.  (She is improving, by the way)   Jim and Debbie told us they had run into the Parks family.  Joyce and I found Charlie, Ann, and Chuck in his hospital room.   Charlie was ever cheerful, positive, and encouraging.  We were laughing and joking.   Once again he was telling me how much he enjoyed last Sunday’s sermon.  Gee Charlie, I’m supposed to cheer you up! 

        But then Charlie looked at me and said, “If this is it, I’m ready.”  

        “Oh, you will get through this Charlie,” I told him.   But he didn’t—or maybe he did.  

        Early on Sunday morning God’s Angel of mercy and healing came and took Charlie by the hand.  For the first time in decades he did not feel any pain or limitations.   For the first time in years, Charlie started to walk, and then he ran. 

      Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.  (Isaiah 40: 31)

            My life has been blessed because of my friend, Charlie Parks.  There are some people I remember, there are others I will never forget.  

1 comment:

  1. There are not many people in this life that you walk away from always for the better, every time you see them. Charlie was one of those people. He and Ann are our next door neighbors. My children, especially Rachel, had a special bond with him. He will be missed! Ruffin Morgan

    ReplyDelete