Saturday, December 31, 2011

LIVING IN FAITH AND RESPONSIBILITY

        The dawn of a New Year is a hopeful event.  There is something within us that yearns for renewal and new beginnings.  St. Benedict wrote, “always we begin again.” 
        There is a sense of excitement and anticipation when you begin something new.  The first day of classes or the first day on a new job brings a renewed commitment to hard work and discipline to succeed and a resolution to not repeat the unhealthy habits and mistakes of the past.  On the first day of a long-anticipated trip there is a sparkle and excitement that is palatable. 
        I find myself more hopeful about this new year than usual, primarily because the past year has been so very challenging and painful.  We have experienced more turmoil in our life than ever before, actually beginning with the final two months of 2010.  We have had major crises within our family.  Joyce and I both have had significant health issues. (Am I getting old?)  My younger brother died suddenly.  I have buried too many close friends.  Our church has been in a financial crisis.  Even my devoted companion, Little Buddy, died. 
        So many things that happen to us in life are beyond our control.  I am hopeful that the economy will improve, but I can’t make it happen.  However, there are many things I can do to make 2012 a better year.  I believe that the best paths are not the ones we choose, but the ones we make.  So therefore, here are some things I can make happen in 2012.
        I am going to be more disciplined in my physical health.  I know everybody makes a New Year’s resolution to lose weight.  I really need to lose about 15 pounds, weight that I put on during our Sabbatical.  I need to be more faithful to the YMCA and most importantly, I need to eat healthier.
        I need to focus more on spiritual disciplines.  The Bible Studies that I teach each week begin with personal spiritual discipline and preparation.  I am really excited about teaching the book of Mark beginning January 22.  I also want to spend more time on sermon preparation.  I believe that I can make the biggest difference through my preaching and teaching.
        I want to find more time to read.  My Kindle is loaded with exciting books, but I never seem to have the time to sit down and read them! 
        One of the best books I read on Sabbatical was Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas.
If anyone practiced the personal and spiritual discipline that we aspire to in the midst of tragic times, it was Bonhoeffer.  A few weeks before he was imprisoned by the Nazis he wrote these words:  There remains for us only the narrow way, often extremely difficult to find, of living every day as if it were our last, and yet living in faith and responsibility as though there were to be a great future.  It is not easy to be brave and keep that spirit alive, but it is imperative.
        As we enter the New Year, it is imperative that we live in faith and responsibility, believing that there will be a great future!   Happy New Year!  

2 comments:

  1. We all need physical and spiritual renewal, whether it be annually, monthly, or even daily. Depending on God, trusting in Him totally and submitting to His will is often difficult, yet satisfying. I share the same hopes and needs as well, and through God's grace we are redeemed. Wishing you a very blessed and happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray for many blessings for our Church and community in the new year.

    ReplyDelete