Wednesday, September 11, 2013

FAITH/HEALTH AND THE KINGDOM OF GOD


        Most everyone in Lexington knows “Durango.”  I learned a few years ago that while everyone calls him “Durango” he prefers his given name, Kenneth.  Kenneth lives in Bob’s Board House on Main Street in downtown Lexington.  He is a fixture at American Legion Baseball games and the Davidson County Fair.  Years ago he rode a bicycle all over town and beyond.

        Jimmy Snyder has been a good and helpful friend to Kenneth for many years.  When I found out that Kenneth needed a medical procedure at Lexington Medical Center, I thought it might be a good “trial run” for FaithHealthNC. 

        The preparation for the procedure has recently changed and when Kenneth told me he wasn’t sure what to do, I looked at his instructions and it took me a while to figure it out.  This happens often with medicine.  Part of FaithHealth is helping people understand their medical orders. 

          Early Monday morning I picked Kenneth up from his apartment and took him to Lexington Medical Center.  Jim Tate, our FaithHealth Administrator had sent out an email last week explaining the need and had an immediate and positive response.  Gary Wikstrom had volunteered to pick Kenneth up after his procedure, so I had written down Gary’s phone numbers and also mine, but the nurse told me somebody had to be at the hospital during the actual procedure.  I told her that I would stay and then called Gary to let him know what was going on.  He came right on to the hospital.  We were both there when Kenneth came out of the procedure and we talked to the doctor.  

          Gary took over, taking Kenneth home and getting him settled.   Gary also provided a meal for Kenneth and later in the evening, Michelle and William Hopkins also brought him a meal.  They also called him and checked on him.

          Kenneth called me that night.  He was thrilled with all the attention he received and went into great detail telling me everything that was brought to him to eat.  He told me that would last him for several days.  Then he said, as only Kenneth can, “Thank you for all the nice things you did for me today.”  

          The greatest gift we gave to Kenneth was not transportation and food, although that was very important, but we surrounded him with love and support—and that meant more than any medicine or medical procedure. 

          Kenneth’s words:  “Thank you for all the nice things you did for me today” echo as a blessing and a challenge.   Isn’t this what Jesus had in mind when he talked about building the Kingdom of God?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment