Sunday, April 7, 2019

You Are My Brother

    On Thursday afternoon in Turin we were strolling down the Via Roma and decided to visit the little church of Santa Christina on Piazza San Carlo. This beautiful Baroque style church was designed in 1620, but it took 100 years to complete construction.  It suffered damage in the Second World War. There is a beautiful organ inside and gorgeous frescoes and carved statues.  
         We paused for a few minutes inside to absorb the beauty of this holy place.  We were seated on one of the back pews.  I got up to explore a small chapel on the side and Joyce remained in her seat.  When I came back Joyce was engaged in conversation with a Priest and a young lady, who was his niece.  They were from a little island off the southern coast of Italy and she was bringing her uncle to see the Shroud of Turin.  They asked Joyce what brought her to Turin and she was telling them about our Sabbatical and the fact I was a minister.
         When I walked back to where they were seated, the Priest smiled and extended his hand.  I responded by saying, “Hello Father.”   
         He looked at me and said, “No, not Father.  You are my brother.   We are brothers in Christ.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment