Sunday, April 7, 2019

The Unforgettable Prayer Service



         When Joyce and I first visited Torraccio di Chiusi in 2010, there were several nights that we were the only guests.  Bruno had prepared all of our meals, but we were told that Bruno had the night off and in his place, Stefano, the owner and former Italian Senator would provide our meal. It was a night we will never forget!
         We were in awe that a such a great man, a powerful corporate executive, a former Senator, would be so humble as to prepare our meal.  As we enjoyed the excellent meal, we learned about each other.  Stefano told us how he and Donatella decided there was more to life than power and money.  He shared how they had adopted a little girl from Ethiopia.  
         Then he learned that I was a minister, although I don’t know that he understood exactly the role of a Protestant minister because he kept calling me Father.   But when he found out I was a minister, he became very emotional and shared a personal story with us.  When Stefano and Donatella first purchased this ancient property, one of the first things he discovered in the almost 1000-year-old house was a chapel. Stefano took this as a sign of God’s blessing and he told us that the very first part of the house he restored was the chapel.  Then through tears, he asked if after dinner we would go to the chapel with him to pray. We have never forgotten that powerful experience.
         On Saturday morning, Joyce and I asked Maria if the chapel would be open on Sunday.  She smiled and said, “Of course.  So, you can lead the prayers.”  
         At dinner Saturday night a couple from Denmark remarked, “We hear you will conduct prayers in the chapel tomorrow.  We must leave early, so we cannot be there.”
         Then Stefano came to us and said, “You will conduct prayers in the chapel.  What time?  If okay, I will invite my family.”  
         At first Joyce thought he was asking what time we would be in the chapel so he would not conflict with us. But I said, “No, he wants me to lead a prayer service for his family.”
         So you must understand this picture.   Here I am, a Baptist Minister from North Carolina being asked to conduct a prayer service for a powerful Italian family who live on the Via Francigena, the Pilgrims’ highway to Rome that has been traveled by Popes, Saints, Cardinals, Bishops, Priests and the everyday faithful!  Talk about being overwhelmed!
         I thought about how I should go about the service.   Should I look up a Catholic Prayer service?  Should I try to lead this service as a Priest would?   But the more I thought about it, the more I decided to simply be myself.  I would make a few remarks on what an honor it was to conduct the service, then I would lead an opening prayer, read a Scripture lesson, make a few remarks on the Scripture, and close with a prayer.  
         I decided to use Mark 10: 35-45, where James and John are requesting places of power and authority in the Kingdom and Jesus tells them that the greatest among us will be our servant. 
         Stefano invited Marisa, who prepares our breakfast each morning, to join us for the service.  
         Joyce and I walked over the beautiful little chapel shortly before 10 a.m.  Marisa and Sisi, who also helps in the kitchen and cleans the rooms, were already in the chapel lighting candles.  Then I saw that Marisa was bringing water and wine and a silver chalice.  Oh no, I thought, they are expecting me to perform the Mass.  
         Joyce asked me what I would do.  I told her that I would explain to Stefano that I am not authorized by the Roman Church to conduct Mass.  I must respect their traditions and their line of authority.  
         When Stefano arrived, I explained to him that I could not offer communion, but could lead a service of prayer and Scripture.  
         “Yes, of course,” he said. “I know that.”
         Then the couple with him, who were close friends, said, “We travel to California often.  We understand what you are saying, but prayer is a wonderful way to begin our day.”
         The fact that Stefano understood I am not a Catholic Priest, but still asked me to conduct services for them made it even more remarkable.  
         The small chapel is a beautiful and peaceful sacred space.  We sat together for a few minutes.   There was Stefano, the other couple, Joyce and Marisa, but where was Donatella?   
         Stefano said he hoped she was coming.  I said we were in no hurry, we would wait.  We waited for just a moment, then Stefano said, “Let us begin.”
         I stood and when I did, everyone else stood.  I started by saying it was a great honor to stand in this sacred space and conduct the service.  Then I remarked on how we were standing on Holy Ground.  We know for a fact that many Popes have traveled on the Via Francigena. In November of 1148 Pope Eugene III returned to Rome on the Via Francigena and dedicated the Cathedral in San Gimignano.  St. Francis made his pilgrimage to Rome on the Via Francigena in 1206.   Who knows, maybe Simon Peter or the Apostle Paul also traveled this way.  So yes, this is Holy Ground.
         Then I offered my first prayer.  I turned to the Altar and prayed, asking God to bless Stefano and Donatella and their family.
         Following the prayer, I thought they might be seated, but they continued to stand.  I read the text from Mark 10 and commented on how people seek greatness in the world by assuming power and authority, but Jesus said we find greatness in service.  I made note of the fact that we were of different nations, different cultures, and different languages, but we worshiped the same God and we are all members of the family of God.  
         I shared the story of the Priest in Turin who after I called him “Father” said “No, not Father.  I am your brother, your brother in Christ.”  
         Then I offered a closing prayer and focused on finding forgiveness and grace at the foot of the cross. 
         Marisa is from Peru. She speaks very little Italian and almost no English.  During the last prayer, Marisa had one arm around Joyce’s waist, Joyce had her arms on her shoulders, and she was lifting her other hand to God.  The tears were streaming down her face.
Stefano was also very moved and expressed heartfelt thanks and gratitude. He hugged Joyce as he expressed his gratitude.  The couple with Stefano said they were very touched by the service.   Surely, we felt the presence of the Lord as we stood together on Holy Ground.
         As we were leaving the chapel, Donatella came in.  “Oh no!” she exclaimed.  “Am I late? Have I missed it?”
         I told her not to worry, that Joyce and I would have prayer with her.   We stood and faced the Altar.  Donatella took my hands and I prayed. She was in tears.  She embraced us as the tears of grace flowed from her face.   We don’t know what exactly is going on in her life, but for those few sacred minutes, we all felt the powerful presence of God and his peace, his “shalom” that passes all understanding.
         We slowly walked away from the Chapel knowing that we had just experienced a miracle.  We will carry this experience with us for the rest of our lives.
         Stefano is in the kitchen again tonight, just as he was in 2010, preparing our dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment