Saturday, November 23, 2013

November 22, 1963






   
          I can see the image in my mind as clearly as HD television.  Mr. Gilbert, our principal, standing at the door of Miss Price’s 4th grade class with a somber look on his face.  We knew something was wrong. 
          “The president has been shot,” he told us.  That was it.  We didn’t know anything more.  I’m not sure what happened next, but it was only a short time before Mr. Gilbert was back with the stunning news, “The president is dead.”
          We were taken into the school auditorium where the school’s only television was showing images of Walter Cronkite reporting in his shirtsleeves.  School was soon dismissed, although I don’t remember an announcement.  I do remember walking home. 
          In my memory, which has been filtered by a half-century of age, a car stopped and the driver said something to me.  My mind has reconstructed the memory to a mysterious woman asking me if I knew about the president. 
Last weekend we made a visit to Alabama to visit my mother.  We celebrated her birthday on Saturday and it was good to be with her and see everyone in the family.  I took two of my children by the old school building that has since been converted into an Arts Center, and showed them where my 4th grade class was located.  There were numerous specials on television about the Kennedy assassination.  We were talking about the assassination one night and I asked mother how she heard the news.
          “I heard the terrible news on television,” she said. “I needed to go to the store and knew that you children would be coming home soon, so I was driving to town when I saw you walking down the street.  I stopped and told you that I would be back home in a few minutes.”
          So that mysterious woman who had become a stranger in my mind was actually my mother!  Funny how the mind plays tricks on us.
          But in a way it was telling.  As a child, my mind was not preconditioned by political bias.  JFK was not very popular in Alabama, primarily because of his stand on Civil Rights.  But I wasn’t old enough to be political and my parents didn’t discuss politics with us.  I was inspired by Kennedy.  We tried to imitate his Boston accent.  (Alabama boys speaking with a Boston accent!)
          His words, “Ask not what your country can do for you, . . .” resonated with me and stirred me as did Martin Luther King’s lofty rhetoric.  My world was shattered on November 22, 1963.  All the adults had their own political bias, as I do now, but 50 years ago I was innocent—until that fateful day.
          The next summer my grandmother took me to Washington, DC.  We rode the train, visited the monuments and memorials, saw the Declaration of Independence and spent hours in the Smithsonian.  We went to see John Sparkman, the Alabama Senator from our hometown.  We toured the White House. 
          My grandmother told me she would buy me a souvenir.  I looked and looked but finally settled on a small bust of JFK.  I know it must have cost more that my grandmother had planned to spend.  And I still remember the shop owner giving me a lecture on the fact that “this is not a toy.  You don’t play with it.  If you drop it, it will break.”
          He probably didn’t think I would get home with it.  Maybe my grandmother didn’t either, but I did.  In fact, it’s in my office today.  And when I look at it, I remember November 22, 1963.  That was the day my world changed, and our nation has never been the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment